Friday, November 11

11/11/11

So I'm here at home, alone for a few more hours. It's overcast, but unseasonably warm. Last week they came and cleaned up leaves, but the trees weren't quite finished and now there are just as many leaves today as there were last Friday. A long time ago I made a playlist with songs I thought suited November. Every song on the list wallowed in heartbreak; lost loves, dead friends, the lament of the weather. November, for no particular reason, is a sadder month. Maybe it's because the holidays loom just far enough into the future and the days darken earlier. But whatever sadness is held in November isn't personal; I don't have any gut-wrenching remorse tied up in the eleventh month. Maybe it's irrational; maybe it's just part of the normal psychological cycle. All this to say that on this November afternoon, I think about any other similar afternoon ten or more years ago when I would have poked into the Bookshelf to see who was there. I would have had just enough time to see the banter, maybe trade some IMs. I'm missing you all, today. That's all.

12 comments:

Brenda said...

i miss that time too. i would share my news that i gave my two week notice today to quit my job that i have been bitching about for 4 years(at least). and in two weeks the first day of the rest of my life begins. i can already smell the fresh air and feel the sunshine on my face. it is like the smell of fresh sheets on my beloved clothes line. i will have less money, but i will have my soul back.

Sonya said...

Spidey, congratulations! You've been so stressed out about that job for such a long time. I'm glad you got to that point. You and your soul can have some fun.

schell said...

Tree, I miss that too. There was a real feeling of commaraderie there that I loved.
Spidey, Congratulations!! That's wonderful for you!

Ded said...

'Westron wynde, when wilt thou blow,
The small raine down can raine.
Cryst, if my love were in my armes
And I in my bedde again!'

like that,S?

Sonya said...

Yes, Ded. Like that. Thanks.

Schell, we didn't know what we had until it was gone.

emma said...

IMO, November is a beautiful month. The weather here has been great. I'm not even stressing about the upcoming holidays because I've convinced myself that I don't give a shit about who goes where and who does what. BP, Liam and I are going to my sister's house for Thanksgiving but have made no plans beyond that. It feels liberating.
My son will be 21 on November 18th. That's a "where did the time go" moment for sure. He's a happy healthy kid. I'm happy & healthy. BP is happy & healthy...his daughter is getting married in a few weeks. Hope you all have a great rest of 2011.

emma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sonya said...

Emma, good for you on all counts. Happy fall.

vq said...

I've always loved November. But I do miss the Bookshelf, and often.

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

I am feeling more pissed than melancholy, but there is only so much bitching I can do before I explode. I did get a great deal of satisfaction today listening to Gary Jules sing Mad World from Donny Darko.. It is such a lovely sad sad song. Sometimes I enjoy wallowing a bit.

and on another note Congrats to you Spidey Sister... Enjoy yourself :)

Brenda said...

thank you. i am looking forward to my next adventure.

vq said...

Happy for you, Spidey.