Thursday, August 6

Playing for Change

I saw this documentary tonight on a local public TV station and I thought it was wonderful. The director went around the world and had street musicians play well known songs and then put them all together to make one combined version. He also interviewed the musicians about how music is the great equalizer among cultures. I loved the first song they played, which was "Stand by me." The director just found people and said "play this song any way you want to" and recorded it. If you get a chance to see this, do spend the time watching it.

At the start, the director made a good point some of the best music isn't played by someone well known or even celebrated in the media.

Verb, there's a nice group of children singing hyms, and it made me think of you. The Omagh Community Youth Choir, from Northern Ireland. The founder spends some time talking about terrorism and how music helped them move on from a bad incident.

here's a link to go watch the "stand by me" video. A lot of the other musical pieces are easily found on the Internet.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8018743903334132825

5 comments:

vq said...

Great post, Jilly. Music is very powerful, and unexplainably soul-healing for those who are moved by it. And I agree that the music made by everyday people expressing their emotions is the most powerful of all.

Bert Bananas said...

Jilly, I loved it. I even signed up for the spiritual course offered at the end of the video!

But of course you and Verb are also aware that music can be used to psych up people to do violence, right?

The first time I heard the Genesis song, "In the Air Tonight" was when it was used as background music for the few minutes leading up to one heck of a gun battle on Miami Vice.

All the buttons of our human emotions can be pushed by music.

mavis sidebottom said...

In the air tonight was by Phil collins not geneisis... yours pedantically alex

Jilly said...

bert, well of course we know that it can be used for many things (good and bad), but that doesn't mean we can't hope for something peaceful. there's nothing wrong with hope after all.

jilly

Bert Bananas said...

Alex, it doesn't matter if it's pendantically or whatever... I'll take you any way I can get you.