Tuesday, August 10

Remember?

The Brach's "Pick-a Mix" stands at the grocery stores? Jilly's crocheted candy dish post reminded me. My grandparents always had those Brach's butterscotch hard candies--the ones that came wrapped in yellow cellophane. I tried to like them, because they were candy, dammit, and candy was a GOOD thing. But I didn't, really.

Those Brach's stands would also have lots of small bins containing starlite mints, those fruit flavored hard candy sour balls, wrapped in a little twist of clear cellophane, individually wrapped caramels and those strange, chewy coconut candies, and numerous other slightly odd candies. Honestly, I never really liked any of it very much, though I could tolerate the sour balls if I could get a red one.

And I recall that you could "sample" a piece there in store if you dropped a nickel in the little metal box attached to stand. I'd give my kids a nickel for a sample if they went to the grocery store with me, and they'd really try to be happy about it and find something that wasn't gross. But let's face it--they'd really have preferred to just have some Nerds or a Jolly Rancher.

I don't suppose that "Pick a Mix" stuff still exists, though I know I still see Brach's candies in bags, especially jelly beans at Easter time.

Poor Brach's. I guess all the old people who liked their strange candy are now eating it from that dusty candy bowl in the sky...

7 comments:

Jilly said...

the giant near me has a pick-a-mix stnad but if you eat a peice, it's $25 now. My mom would never allow us to have that, but she'd give us a peice of big red gum on the way home if we didn't annoy her at the store. i actually love butterscotch candy and really love the butter rum lifesavers candy, but i think that's because my favorite old man neighbor used to give them to us as a treat to wash down those god-awful floruide pills we had to eat several times a day. my mom wasn't big on candy really ever. she's done a complete turn around and often hands out awesome candy like ring pops and blow pops to my niece and nephew with a wink and a "don't tell anyone it was me."

mandolin thinks raisins and apple sauce are candy. she'll ask me for candy and hand me a box of raisins, so i'll give it to her without correcting her. i hope she forgives me one day.

Jilly said...

sheesh that's $.25, $25 for a piece of candy is crazy

vq said...

I'm glad to know they still exist. Maybe now that I"m in my 50s, I'll start liking that kind of candy....

Mrs. Tree said...

I loved the chocolate covered raisins and peanuts from Brachs.. And bridge mix, which I didn't understand. My great-grandmother had a lemon drops candy dish with a lid. I thought it was made of crystal, but it really is just glass. There's still a Brach's candy store on Colorado Blvd. but I have never gone inside.

Spidey said...

my grandma had a candy dish too. it was a dish on a pedestal, creamy white with pink roses and green leaves on it. she had good stuff in there from what i remember.
every grandma needs a candy dish. i will have to remember that. ;)

UrbanStarGazer said...

Ditto. My grandma had a dish as well. She used to crochet very delicate doilies (sp?) and one was under her candy dish. She didn't fill hers with Brachs, she had hard candies -- some were the ribbons but there were these little raspberry shaped and colored hard candies which had a squishy blob of raspberry flavored stuff in the middle. I did like those.

emma said...

My grandma had no crappy candy dish