Sunday, March 29

It's Always Something

I'm feeling rather Gilda Radnerish lately.  Just when life seems to be going swimmingly, that's when life comes to the door, knocks, and says, "HA!"

In the last month, we've had:

1.  A new roof put on the pool house.  We happened to notice a water stain on the ceiling over the sink area and upon looking further, the rubber boot on the vent pipe was half off.  Called our neighbor (the local chatty cathy handyman) to replace....bringing on the realization that the roof needed to be replaced.  Thankfully, he was able to find a "deal" on the shingles and re-roofed it in record time.

2.  Dennis has been having a problem with a tooth-two trips to see about a root canal-which he was told may or may not (?) work.  He suffers for another two weeks, then goes to his regular dentist to have it seen about.  Upshot-one tooth extraction.

3.  The faucet in our kitchen sink decides to quit operating properly.  Called the plumber and it needs a new cartridge which may or may not (?) solve the problem. I'm sensing a theme here. Decide to order a new faucet.  ONE WEEK later, the new faucet is finally installed.  Of course, during all this time, the old one is still leaking onto the counters and underneath the sink.

4.  This morning, I discovered that our hot water heater is leaking.  I keep my scales next to the heater which is in the bathroom, under the stairs that go to Heather's old room.  Call the plumber again (I now have them on speed dial).  He comes out.  Heater needs replacing.  Of course, the one which fits in our space has to be gotten from a supplier who is not open on Sundays, but they will install the new one first thing in the morning (Monday).  The plumber cuts off the water to the hot water heater so it won't leak anymore.  Result-no water in any of the sinks, not to mention the toilet.

The only thing I can control at this point is #4.  I'm moving where I keep my scales and refuse to get on them anytime soon.

8 comments:

Brenda said...

as they say... when it rains, it pours. or if you live where i am, when it snows, it pounds the sh*t out of you.
when one thing goes, it seems the appliances, plumbing, furnace, a/c all talk to each other and say.... hmmm... let's mess with these humans shall we?

mavis sidebottom said...

why dont you just move into the pool room?

Gail said...

You obviously haven't seen the pool house lately. I've turned over it's maintenance to Dennis so picture a 16 year old boy's messy room and you might come close to how it looks. :)

Spidey, I think you're right. I forgot to mention that at the first of the month, we had an electrical outlet that shorted out and was poised to burn the house down. Last week, we had a floor lamp that also shorted out and had to be replaced.

And of course, the 5 1/2 inches of rain over the last two days has probably filled up our septic tank not to mention that water has collected around our AC unit-I'm just waiting for it to blow it's top too.

I'm searching the Yellow Pages for an Indian shaman to remove the appliance curse from the house.

Bert Bananas said...

I bet Facebook is to blame! It's the Devil, you know..

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

Gail if your water heater problem was a leaky release valve I now know how to replace those. I was recently horrified to pay $89.00 for the service call and $15.00 for the part that it took the kid a total of 10 minutes to unscrew the old one and screw back in a replacement. Heck he didn't even use a wrench! If I had only known earlier!

Gail said...

Blank-you might have come up with the right answer.

Orbs-nope, the whole heater was leaking like a sieve from underneath, more's the pity.

I now have hot water again, thank the lord.

And while I'm complaining, I'd forgotten that since Christmas, we've also had to replace the microwave (which needed to fit into the cabinet-that only took two trips to Lowe's) and the coffeemaker.

mavis sidebottom said...

If I win the lottery the pool room will be one of my first ports of call

Brenda said...

gails electric appliances are out to get her!