Friday, March 20

Mattress Sizes

I was watching QVC and they were selling bed linens and mentioned a "California King" sized mattress. I'd never heard of this size, so I Googled it:

"California King beds are 72 inches wide by 84 inches long - 4 inches narrower and 4 inches longer than a regular king. King size is the best choice for couples that want maximum personal sleeping space. It's also the best bet to accommodate that time on Sunday morning when children may pop into bed - or if the pets in your house have mattress privileges! However, size can be a problem. Even with a "split box spring" - two twin-size foundations to support it - to make a king set more manageable, it may be too big for some bedrooms or too bulky to navigate through some corridors, doors and stairwells. It's a good idea to break out the tape measure if there is any doubt"
----------------------------------

We have a full size mattress---I'd love a Queen -sized. I don't think our room would accomodate a King-sized mattress.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

we have had a queen size for years. i have slept in a king size and it is great. but my room wouldn't hold one either i don't think.

schell said...

I'd love two twins.

emma said...

Schell,
You'd have to have sex with Keith in order to get twins---unless you go the way of Octomom!

vq said...

When we moved to CA in 1996, we had a standard king-sized bed. I soon learned that you can't buy standard king sheets and bedding here, only Cal king. Eventually, I just broke down and bought a Cal king bed because I was tired of not being able to find sheets.

UrbanStarGazer said...

Us Westeners call the standard king size bed "Eastern King" (or, at least we do in the bay area). I used to have an Eastern King and loved it. You could sleep four people in it comfortably.

I have a full size bed in the bay area and can barely fit on it with my cats so can't imagine sharing it with another full-sized human.

In Tahoe we have an "Extended Queen" which is bigger than a queen and smaller than a king. H bought it and it's a freaking pain in the butt because only the company that makes it sells sheets for it and they're ridiculous. So, I just buy king size sheets.

Jilly said...

i have a special king called a grand king from sleep number, it's one of the largest beds on the market. i didn't pick it out, my guy did, but i love it and when my friends and family come to stay, they like to nap in it. when i sleep in other places, my body hurts. we have to get the sheets special from sleep number, and they're not cheap. we have an old house, about 100 years, so the rooms are large but the bed, 2 dressrs, my vanity table, 2 end tables and a hope chest is all that fits in the room.

UrbanStarGazer said...

Our extended queen is a Sleep Number bed and I have to say, I hate it.