Friday, May 22

the holiday weekend

Doesn't it seem like Memorial Day is way early this year? We have two graduation parties, one bar mitvah, and one 50th bday party. None at my house, but next weekend, we're having a bunch of med students and spouses over for a bbq pot luck, and I still don't have all the pictures on the walls. And right after next weekend, my mom and I are flying to Moline and then renting a car to drive J home from her first year of college. On Facebook, she mentioned that she does and does not want to come home. I understand that ambivalance, but in my heart of hearts, I do wish she was completely excited about being around me 24 hours a day. Who wouldn't? :)

10 comments:

Gail said...

Dennis and I were talking just yesterday about how it feels that Memorial Day is early this year. After looking at the calendar, it seems to make more sense for it to be NEXT weekend.

I think I understand about your daughter's feelings about coming home. But as a mother, I know I'd like my daughter to do the happy dance at just the thought of being home.

Brenda said...

it is early this year because the monday right after the original memorial day is June 1st. and I guess memorial day has to be in may.
but that is okay, cause to me that gives me one more week of the summer season.
i have no plans at all. :)

schell said...

I would be excited to be around you 24 hours a day.

emma said...

Tree, I wish you'd activate your blog again and post pictures of your new house.

emma said...

PS: Gail
How about that finale and ZIVA!!!! her poor face! Did her father betray her?

Jilly said...

lord we have 19 days of school left and i can't wait for it to be over. after this year, i just want to be a stay at home mother. i've been looking into different schools and one thing is for sure, i won't work at this one again next year.

jilly

Kathryn said...

Memorial Day is celebrated on the last Monday in May; the latest it can be is May 31st, and the earliest is May 25th.

The VFW has been lobbying for years to have Memorial Day returned to the original fixed date of May 30th, on the grounds that the 'last Monday in May' is not sufficiently hallowed, but I don't think they are making much headway.

emma said...

Kath,
it'll never happen just because of the federal 3-day weekend

Sonya said...

Emma, I'll take some pictures and put them up in a google album and post the link. BUt I'll wait till all the boxes are out of site. I have some plants I'd like you to identify.

Sonya said...

I really did mean "sight."