Sunday, July 26

Having The Time of My Life

Tomorrow Mandolin and I are off to the store to buy a potty. I've been putting it off because she hasn't really been ready, and my afraid of an epic battle. I have read a few "how to potty train" books, which my mom made fun of me for. My mom engaged in what she calls the M&M method. Meaning she put us (all of her kids and 2 of her grand kids) on the potty chair in front of the TV after enough juice to kill an elephant. When the kid pees/poops, you give him/her an M&M and a lot of prise. She insisted this method is fool proof as long as one does not ever give M&Ms as a reward for anything else until after potty training is complete. My kid has never had chocolate, so I don't think I'll be following the M&M method myself.

As of last week, Mandolin has begun telling me when she goes in her diaper and asking me to change her. The other day she took a diaper to her dad and said "sorry, I poop." Add this to the fact that she loves to take her diaper off in public (while still fully dressed) and hand it to complete strangers (the gift just keeps on giving). It's time to introduce THE CHAIR. I have no idea which chair is the best and after reading millions of reviews, I think it's really hit or miss on what chair your kids will tolerate. I'm going to just put Mandolin on all the potty chairs at the store and see what she likes, since she has to sit on it. I'm also glad that a few months back I taught her to wash her hands and make her do it often, so that won't be a battle. this can either go easy or hard. I really want something to go easy for a change.

So tell me what did you do to get your kid(s) to go like they've never gone before?

6 comments:

Brenda said...

i was very blessed in this area, as both my kids were potty trained in about a week. i bought them both underoos(do they still make those?) and said... no more diapers okay? we are going to wear big boy(girl)pants now.
i have to say they were both about 2 years old.
i told them... don't pee in your pants and don't poop in your pants whatever you do, cause that will be a mess. they both got it right away and never had an accident. even at night. i had a little pottie chair for them until they were comfortable with that, and then i got them one of those inserts for the big toilet so they wouldn't fall in. however, spideydaughter did not want to wipe her poopie butt for a long time and that was our struggle. i told her, you know when you go to kindergarten, i won't be there to wipe your butt. she told me, that's okay, i won't poop at school.

UrbanStarGazer said...

I potty trained myself. My mom said she was sitting there one day thinking about the fact that it was about time to start potty-training me when she spotted me coming out of the bathroom trying to put my diaper back on. She asked what I was doing and I informed her I went potty. She went in and confirmed, apparently I didn't flush, and that was it for me.

vq said...

My dad casually mentioned to Ian, when he and Mom were visiting waiting for Hallie to be born, that big boys don't wear diapers.

That was it--Ian refused to ever wear a diaper again, and valued his big boy shorts so much that I'm not sure he ever had an accident.

It was a tremendous help to me, since I had been very worried about having two in diapers at the same time.

Hallie, on the other hand, was stubborn as a mule and refused to potty train. I eventually told her "I'm not changing your diapers any more. You're too big." I spent a few days stubbornly refusing to change her dipes, and she finally relented. I'm sorry to have to tell you she was nearly 3.

emma said...

I stressed over toilet training more than anything else. My son was three before he was ready (I'd introduced the pot.tty chair when he was 2---he just wasn't ready then.)
However when he was three he was ready and he just did it almost by himself. He was potty trained within two days. I discovered I 'd been stressed over nothing.

schell said...

Joseph practically trained himself. One night, I realized that I was out of diapers and in the old days there were no 24 hour stores, so I put two pair of He-Man underoos on him (He LOVED Heman). He refused to pee or poop on HeMan...so as long as I kept them on him, he was good.
Braden was about the same. But he liked to be naked all the time so that made it easier.
Renee was a different story. She didn't like to sit long enough to go pee. So, I had to catch her at the exact time she had to go. Finally I did the potty in front of the tv trick....and it worked. I don't remember what the reward was, but that was the only way to get her to sit long enough to go.

mavis sidebottom said...

when I look at my laundry and the area round my loos Im not convinced mine have ever really been potty trained