Monday, June 29

family records and failure to communicate

On Sunday I went to a funeral for a relative of my guy. His mother's uncle, who was close to 90 and a former ww2 german pow died last week. He was a great man and spent 15 years not knowing his name, so i'm glad he's home now. The funeral service was nice and we had a great time with several dozen of my mil's relatives. Most of them are elderly and in some stage of alzheimer's, so my mil fit right in. I took the time to visit my mil's sister-in-law. She's one of my favorite people from the mil's family. Her grandson, who is 7, has been ill his entire life. I asked about him and she told me they figured out that he has something called Russell-Silver Syndrome. I've never heard of it, but we had a nice chat about my girl and her gradbabies and that was it until earlier today.

Earlier, I looked up russell-silver syndrome because i've never heard of it and all i knew was that it is genetic. Well, after I spent a few minutes reading this site (http://www.magicfoundation.org/www/docs/112.111/russell_silver_syndrome),
i became aware that my guy had all but one symptom and my daughter has a few more than half. I don't want to self-diagnose, but i felt a light bult and a flash of anger. Here is this genetic disorder that travels in families and my guy and baby might have it. I called a few of the family matriarchs and read them the site, and one dug up the family records and named a few people for several generations who have the same problems the little boy has currently. part ofme wishes we'd had this chat months ago, but the rest of me is just happy we had it now. at our next appointment, i am going to request an evaluation for RSS and see what happens.

3 comments:

Sonya said...

Jilly, how frustrating for you to know that this disorder was lingering in the background, but yet, it must be a relief that you might be able to actually know for sure. It must be like a big lightbulb going off. What did your guy say?

Jilly said...

he felt relieved to have an idea why he was sick constantly for the first 13 or so years of his life, but disappointed that all the teatments are for pre-puberty children. there's nothing they can do for him now, but we can watch out for the baby and future babies in the family. i wish we'd had this conversation a few years back.

jilly

Sonya said...

Well, I'm sorry for him and hope that this new information helps you and the baby.