Wednesday, June 3

Twisted Knickers thanks and my nutjob at work

So they announced a change to the staff dresscode at work. No capris, no jeans, no sneakers, no shorts for choaches etc, no open-toed shoes, flip-flops, or sandals. I have never seen so many women in an uproar. It was worse than the other day. They feel insulted on top of cheated.

after a long thought about people feeling worthless, I made my kids write thank you notes to an adult in the building who did something nice for them this year. I then put the cards in the staff mailboxes. I think people would be a little less igh-strung if they knew they really were appreciated, not just the fake half-ass words the admin staff touts at meetings. One kid asked me why teachers didn't write them "thank yous" for being in their classes, so I think I will try and do that sometime soon, just because she asked. I was sad that I had to give a crd writing lesson.

in other news, i am co-teaching with someone who isn't "all there." yesterday she called me in the middle of first period from her home to inform me that she was "working from home." how does one work from home when one is an english teacher in a high school? today i was again teaching the class without her when she walked in and said something negative about me in front of the kids. before i could even breathe, the kids called her out on it.

4 comments:

Jenny Robin said...

that dress code sounds very reasonable

very nice idea with the cards

schell said...

Great idea with the cards!

We have the same dress code, except we're allowed to wear capris. The no open toed shoe thing drives me insane. Do you know how hard it is to find spring/summer shoes that don't have an open toe?

Jilly said...

it's a very unreasonable dress code considering what the current code is like and the fact that they're fucking over our medical and retirement benefits and salaries all in the same week. who cares if i wear jeans and sneakers as long as the kids are being taught? hell, the kids get to dress like hookers with tits and ass hanging out all over the place. it's no wonder several have babies of their own. we have a few that have 3-4 kids already.

jilly

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

I would have a terrible time with the no sneakers since they are the only shoes I can now wear for any length of time... sure if I go to a wedding or something I can sit in pain for a little while, but day in and day out it is a problem with the arch supports and stuff