Friday, June 19

Thank God It's Over

Today was the last day of school for the year. We should have been out a week ago, the kids have been useless for the past month. This has been the hardest year for me. I started out with a rookie teacher that was replaced around christmas and the replacement was replaced near the end of Feb. This stressed the kid and me out. They were screwed over this year.

So today, right as I was about to leave, replacement #2 asked me for blank copies of all the 4th quarter projects, assignments, warmiups, vocab and lesson plans. I had my purse in my hand and this was a lot to ask for so I asked her why she needed it. Plain as day she said she wanted it for her professional portfolio. FYI teachers keep a portfolios because it's part of hiring and evaluations.

I was so angry. This woman has tested my patience and professionalism. I was rude to her, but I didn't cuss her out like I wanted to. The kids could tell that I was about to losy me religion and were looking for a good fight though. No one really enjoyed being around her. For her time with us, she was consistently late and or missing randomly, refused to make any lesson plans, co-plan or co-teach properly, or grade assignments or control the kids. One of her classes didn't do one assignment since Feb.!

This left me in the position of having to do everything myself. There are two teachers assigned to the class for a reason, it takes two people working together to get it all done. It was a hard stretch, and I didn't take it quietly. There were many meetings with department heads and admins, but in the end, she was a major millstone for me. Thing would have been easier if her main pasttime hadn't been making fun of or insulting the kids to their faces in the middle of class. So today, when she wanted to take MY WORK and put her name on it and put it in her portfolio, I lost it. She must have lost her mind.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I hope you told her why she was not going to get copies of the paperwork!

emma said...

what Kath said. That woman doesn't need to get a teaching position