Friday, November 14

Argh!

Ok, maybe it's just me being obstinate/stubborn/a pain, but this is pissing me off. I work in HR at my company and I know that HR is held to a higher standard. However, when I think of being held to a higher standard I think ethically, by conduct, etc. How is it that I am being harassed for the small tattoo showing on the back of my neck when it only shows because of chemo? When other people have tats showing on their feet, arms, etc just because and nothing gets said to them? This pisses me off because if I hadn't lost my hair it wouldn't show at all, never did before that, but somehow I'm suppposed to stick a bandaid on it or something even though a girl in my office had a big ass tat on her foot showing ALL SUMMER. It is just me, am I being unreasonable? I haven't even trimmed the back of my hair since it's been growing in so that it will be covered ASAP, but it's super curly and it's going to be a few more months before it's covered. Please give me your opinions on this.

8 comments:

Sonya said...

You could be a smartass and wear a burka to work over the next few days. Just kidding. I think your company will have to eventually accept that the tattoo is much more mainstream now that it once was and furthermore, everyone in your company should be held to the same standard no matter which dept. they work in. But that doesn't help you right now. So don't use a band-aid. Put a big piece of gauze with lots of surgical tape and illustrate it with a sharpie, maybe with a skull and crossbone. Seriously, isn't there anyone you can talk to at work? Appeal to their better nature? Who is asking you about it?

Ded said...

The people who are talking about it are the same ones asking Lori to cut her hair.

Gail said...

Sounds like a wee bit of a double standard. Should be tats for all or tats for none.

emma said...

i agree with Tree. I don't like tattoos-- i think most of them are quite ugly-- HOWEVER they're so mainstream now--your company needs to get with the program and loosen up and redo their policy

Beanns37 said...

Tree, the problem is it's my boss, the VP of HR. I agree with your idea about the gauze, I am going to p/u some crazy obnoxious bandaids with like Spongbob or the Hulk over the weekend and wear that on Monday. The only other thing I could do is go to the CEO and ask her to intervene. I also did contact a lawyer today, because I think this is rediculous, esp. the double standard.

Brenda said...

if you are being held to a different standard than the rest, i think that is discriminatory and should be addressed. also, it is showing because you had chemo, and if i were them, i would shut the hell up. there has to be a rule about that too.

vq said...

I think you need to have a serious discussion with YOUR hr representative. They can't harrass you for something resulting from chemotherapy. That's lawsuit material.

Jilly said...

a few years ago i was told that young women with large chests couldn't wear the same clothing to work that flat chested or older women can because we work with teenaged males. it made me angry, but after a bit, i didn't care enough to fight with it. i decided to be happy that i'm young and have nice boobs.

there's little bright side to your story. did you ask her wtf her problem is and why others are allowed to follow one policy while you aren't?

jilly