Tuesday, November 4

learning to walk

the leadership at my school is really bad, so they keep using our work days to "invite" motivational speakers in (really means pay someone upwards of $10,000 to torture us). I was okay with the speaker until he asked everyone with a child between 1-2 to stand up and then proceeded to ask us personal questions about our kids. His point was to get us to agree with him that babies magically follow a natural learning process without prodding or teaching. His example? Rolling over, sitting up crawling and then walking. Okay I agree some things are natural to some people. Then he made a comment about not having to load the kids into an SUV and take them to walking lessons in a sarcastic way and laughed. I took a deep breath and then explained to captain asshole that actually, my kid has to go to "walking lessons" and we had to spend massive hours with OT and PT to get her to roll over, sit up, crawl and now walk what little she does. That when she does something new, like is able to use a sippy cup or pick up food to feed herself, I feel like we climbed a mountain. I just felt snippy that someone had the stones to lecture me for several hours on sensitivity and then flippanty brushed my daughter's struggle under the rug while I stood there. I know I need to just let it go, but it's hard.

3 comments:

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

I so admire you Jilly and not only because I absolutely detest motivational speakers

Beanns37 said...

He sounds like a total fuck wit Jilly, I would have taken him to task also.

vq said...

Why do schools waste so much money on motivational speakers when they could be using it to pay teachers a living wage?