Friday, November 21

is it time to hunker down?

perhaps i should have paid a bit more attention to my grandparents discussion of surviving the great depression. but who would have thought that could happen again. i guess we should not have been so foolish.
there is one bright spot in my opinion. and that is that we will stop being so wasteful. we will appreciate what we do have. there won't be as much trash in the landfills. i guess that is more than one bright spot.

i have been reading some stories from the older generation, and their experiences during the great depression. they speak of closing off the entire house in the winter except for the kitchen and living room and all huddling together to stay warm at night. entire families moving into one house and surviving together. eating johnnycakes to fill the hunger in their stomachs. standing in long bread lines. getting an orange for christmas was the best treat ever.

i guess we might have to really toughen up.

3 comments:

emma said...

I think we should get back to giving oranges for Christmas and to hell with buying junk

Gail said...

I think so too, Emma. Neither one of us needs anything-if we do, we usually just go and get it-and I truly don't want any more junk to clutter up my house so most years, we get something big for the both of us and forget anything else. My daughter and her husband don't need anything either and I wouldn't have the slightest clue what to give them anyway, so I get her the year's quarters and some money.

We did go get a Honeybake Ham today and made a stop at B&N and I THINK I might get my gift certificate again this year, but if not, that'll be OK too. Dennis has outgrown his slacks so I got him some pants from L.L. Bean and that'll be his Christmas.

I think most people will be cutting down on presents this year. I know we'll be saving as much as we can.

Jilly said...

i've made scarves for everyone in my life and some people ogt hats and glvoes too. i had copies of pictures printed and will put them in photoalbums for my mom and his his mom (they've been nagging for this for awhile, so they'll love it) and this weekend we're off to get the yearly family photo taken care of. i've wrapped most of my scarves etc. and just await the date. we're not big on owning things. we don't care if we have the best or the newest of an item and tend toonly replace things when the old one dies. neither of us care to participate in high fashion or own every gadget known to man either. this year, we're going on a trip together after christmas, and that's enough for us.

i read a book by a woman who was a little girl during the depression and she was explaining how everything worked and gave many recipes. one of them was to make carrot marmalade using one orange and a few grated carrots. she said that they never had enough money to make real marmalade, but using the orange juice and shredded carrots, you got the same effect. i made and loved most of the recipes in her book. the book was called "little heathens" and you should check it out if you are worried about harsh economic times.

jilly