Saturday, November 8

Is it just my household, or have you all noticed it too?

Those mass mailings for credit cards, pre-approved and bonuses for transferring balances used to come in the mail by the gob-fuls. Honestly, not a day would go by without someone in the household being offered a chance to own a credit card by AmEx, whatever Capital One was peddling that day, local stores and national chains. A lot of that seems to have dried up. Today we only had two offerings from Capital One- they changed the color of their envelope from white to sort of a light maize color and exhorted me not only to take them up on their limited time offer, but to recycle the paper it came on (I wanted to say,, recycle this, but being a suth'n lady with decorous manners, I refrained). Maybe the downturn in the economy will be a boon for the trees, or is junk mail a patriotic undertaking because it creates more jobs..... such a conundrum.

6 comments:

emma said...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27602912/

sheila222 said...

Thanks Emma!

emma said...

Pre Stock market bust, we used to get about a dozen of those offers per week. Last week we received one. As my guru Suze Orman says . . .we're going back to a cash society. If you can pay cash, you can buy it; if you can't, don't.
much to the chagrin of the people on my Christmas list, I'm either making the gifts (horrors!) or I'm donoring to heifer.org in their name

emma said...

donoring=donating

Jilly said...

i almost always make gifts for christmas and this year it's all cheap gifts for people on my lists, less than $10 a person with a scarf and maybe gloves and a hat to match, if i like them enough.

jilly

Gail said...

I've noticed the same thing, sheila. In fact, one day this week we got NO mail in our post office box and that never used to happen as we could rely on someone wanting us to have one of their credit cards.