Friday, September 26

Brit speak

Why is it that when Brits say naughty words suck as fuck it still sounds genteel? Example; I was at the Hollywood Bowl to see Eric Idle and at the end of his show there are some fireworks. He told the people sitting in the prime seats at the very front they had to move so as not to be set on fire. (Actually what he told them was "all of you rich people in the best seats have to move" or something to that effect). But apparently not all of them believed him because he looks down and there are still some sitting there. So he says "no really, fuck off" and of course all the rest of us laugh, but what I loved was that it didn't sound coarse, like if an American had said it, it wasn't as offensive. I just find it so amusing when I hear Brits say bad words. Is it just me?
And on another note, Alex, if I move to England can I come stay with you? Our country is going down like the Titantic...

7 comments:

mavis sidebottom said...

My country built the titanic think long and hard before you come here. When I say Fuck I dont sound even remotely genteel

Gail said...

Yes you do.

Beanns37 said...

See, Gail thinks so too!

mavis sidebottom said...

Gail is very biased towards me she was my first ever internet friend, I was thinking about it tonight . Sam will be 12 next month and I first met gail online when he was 1 and had drawn all over the wall in crayon, she was the only one in a room who came up with a sensible suggestion about how to deal with it.

Ded said...

Sure, but cutting his arm off like that put a quick end to his future cricket career.

emma said...

I love eric idle

Gail said...

Good grief! Sam will be 12? Seems like just last year that he was decorating your walls. Since I was your first internet friend, I hope I'll also be there until the end.