Friday, September 19

Survey

If you have children (knowing any counts as does answering for yourself), what was their first word?

I ask this because my daughter graced us with her first word the other day (which I missed!) and now we're in an argument about what her first word actually was. Mandolin told my guy "NO!" twice the other day when she iddn't get her way and said it yesterday to her godmother for the same reason. However, the day before that, she started meowing to the cats and then crawled around after them trying to engage in some sort of interaction with them (they hate her, so I guess she's trying to make nice.)

I'm firm in my beliefe that "meow" counts as a word, while my guys says "no way, she said no and so "no" it is." Today she started barking at/with the daycare woman's pug puppy, so I think that should count too as I looked up "Meow" and "Bark" and they're onomatopoeias.

8 comments:

vq said...

Ian's first word was "mama" (bless his little heart) and his second word was "light"---pronounced "yight."

Is it bad that I can't remember what Hallie's first word was? Ian was such a monster and she was so good that I hardly noticed her till first grade or so...

emma said...

Liam's first word was "up"
Then dada. Mama came along later.

As a teenager, when he mouths off and cusses, it's hard to remember a day when I was thrilled to hear anyhing come out of his mouth

emma said...

oh, I loved the way he said "dwarves" as in Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. He pronounced it "dooorves"
and he prounced "magazine" as "magrazine"
We still sometimes say "magrazines" to each other

vq said...

We still say "calipitter" for caterpillar because that's what Hallie said. Ian finally corrected her when she was about 6, and I nearly killed him. She also said "fravorite," another thing we still say. Both of them said "gheeghee"d (with a hard "g") for kitty, and we still say that, too.

Isn't baby talk precious? Write it all down, Jilly, so you don't forget anything!

Brenda said...

we spoke alot of baby around here and still do. spideydaughter said chinkmunk. spideyson called soda, ya. when they were little and watched sylvester the cat cartoons and his saying.. suffering sucatash, spideydaugher would say... suffering fuckatash. i had to tell her not to say that anymore.
they both said dada first, but that was okay with me. my dads first word was hotdog. when my grandma told us that, we teased him.

Gail said...

My daughter's first words were "I want...(fill in the blank, usually with something expensive) ;-)

sheila222 said...

We were looking for a new house when my son was about five, and he wanted a house with a jacaroozi (jacuzzi).

mavis sidebottom said...

jack said daddy first sam just screamed so loudly for the first three years I never heard anything else so Toms first words are lost in time. I think sams first word was noo noo after the hoover in the teletubbies, becuase the only way to shut him up was to run teletubbies tapes on a loop